A blog about the Buffalo Sabres

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Mmmmmmm

by Anne


After my one and only class today, I decided to take up some pie baking. I didn't take pictures during the process because 1. my hands were covered in pie making ingredients and 2. I was teaching a 10 year old and an 11 year old how to bake.

Anyway, my Aunt recently moved to Florida to live in some wacky all-inclusive they drive around golf carts kind of retirement community and ALAS she will not be bringing her pumpkin pie to Thanksgiving. Me being the domestic diva that I am, offered to make it. Some how, some way Mom allowed me to make my own pie crust. Like, from scratch. I'd say if my Mom has made 100 pies in my life, 97 of them have been completely from scratch. That's how we do it in this house. Anyway, I decided I didn't feel like doing it myself, so I kidnapped my other aunt's kids and made them help.

One made the pumpkin pie filling (we conceded defeat and bought canned pumpkin, but mixed the spices in ourselves) and one rolled out the crust, then they switched. Our pie crust recipe makes enough for either 1 pie with a top crust or 2 bottom crust only pies. Therefore, we made 2 pies. Pumpkin (personally, my least favorite) and pecan (my absolute favorite).


Oscar decided to jump up and investigate.
Mmmmmmmmm. On Thursday we make the fresh whipped cream.
MARTHA STEWART, EAT YOUR HEART OUT.


Anyway, Big Bear has sustained a bruised shoulder and also a bruised toe. :( He's day to day, but probably won't be out for too long. Provided the injury isn't more serious and they just don't realize it yet, I bet he's back for the game against the Blue Jackets or the next one against the Red Wings.

Sigh, ok so after watching video of his injury, its kind of not totally Brett Lebda's fault that Stevie Bear was hurt. He hit the net and started to fall as he was coming in to check Lebda. Ok, so its technically not Brett Lebda's fault that Big Bear is hurt, but morally, I still blame him.

Back to this blog's name sake team:

I just feel like something's got to give on the Sabres' roster. If Mancari can keep playing the way the played this weekend on at least a semi-regular basis, on what grounds can we justify keeping him out of the line-up and Max and Staffy in? He does their job only Marky Mark does it BETTER. The only nod to Staffy is, of course, experience. He's got ten times the games Mark does, BUT, at the moment only 1 more goal this season.


Big Bear needs some TLC

; )


6 comments:

  1. Those look very, very good. You need to make a chocolate peanut butter pie with chocolate crust. My Mom makes it and it is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to make a chocolate peanut butter pie with chocolate crust.

    Ryan's right. I just had some on Saturday at the Olympic. Good stuff.

    And I love how, according to your camera, it's 2080. That means I should be living in my nursing home instead of working there. =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMM... Pecan pie! I make a pecan pie that you use carmels instead of corn syrup... Jay loves it so much he asks for it for his birthday instead of cake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look very, very good. You need to make a chocolate peanut butter pie with chocolate crust. My Mom makes it and it is amazing.

    That pie sounds tasty. Maybe next year?! I'm all baked out for this year... oh wait... I'm making 1/2 of Thursday's dinner... then Christmas cookies... then Christmas dinner...gah I love this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I love how, according to your camera, it's 2080. That means I should be living in my nursing home instead of working there. =]

    Ha, I know, I forget that it says that still until I take a picture and then I'm more interested in uploading it and I forget to change the date setting, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. MMM... Pecan pie! I make a pecan pie that you use carmels instead of corn syrup... Jay loves it so much he asks for it for his birthday instead of cake.

    Hmmmmmmm, interesting twist, my dad loves caramel so maybe I could try that. I've debated between dark and light corn syrup, we're a dark corn syrup family but some people use light and the filling is all cooked on the stove top. There's seriously like a million very slight variations on how to make pecan pie and they're probably all delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Glossary... Sort of

  • "Ryan Miller" Shutout - A 58 minute multi-goal shutout lead that is blown by Miller allowing one meaningless goal
  • Britney or SabreBritney - Thomas Vanek
  • Butter Snaps - Carolina Hurricanes
  • Craigory - Craig Rivet
  • Full Monty - Steve Montador
  • Greener - MATT Greene (LAK)
  • JBG - Jolly Blonde Giant - Tyler Myers
  • Little Foot - Drew Stafford
  • MK - Anne's sister; often leaves nonsensical comments under her Twitter name Mmmkizzle
  • Noodles - Derek Whitmore
  • Oscar - Anne's cat and STH's unofficial mascot
  • Parsley - Jimmy Bonneau
  • Sir Christopher - Chris Butler
  • Sissy - Jaroslav Spacek
  • Telly Monster - Mikael Tellqvist

Because It's Never not Funny


Disclaimer, yo.

Almost all of our pictures are borrowed from other sources. If they're yours and you don't want us to use them, just shoot us an email and we'll take them down.

We have nothing to do with the Buffalo Sabres, the National Hockey League or the actual "Sabretooth's House" located in HSBC Arena, we're just borrowing the name. If anyone is offended by anything we've written, get over it, it's a personal blog, not an accredited news source.

anniebeeswax [at] gmail [dot] com