A blog about the Buffalo Sabres

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Two Minutes for....Doing Your Job?

by Anne

That was the weirdest penalty I've ever seen. It was like time stood still. Miller snatched the puck and nothing in the Arena happened. We were all just kind of like "doot doot doo whistle people can go their sea- wait, where's the whistle? What's happening?"

That was one of the weirder moments I've experienced in person. The chorus of "BUUUUUULLSHIT BUUUUUULLSHIT" that rained down was magical.

Even Vinny Prospal who was like at the net was like "uhhhh, where's the whistle? Ok I'll just keep inching toward the goal.....?"

The linesman that was just standing there is fired. Where was the ref?

I'm Rule Book happy today:

Rule 63 – Delaying the Game

63.1 Delaying the Game – A player, goalkeeper or a team may be penalized when, in the opinion of the Referee, is delaying the game in any manner.

63.2 Minor Penalty - A minor penalty shall be imposed on any player, including the goalkeeper, who holds, freezes or plays the puck with his stick, skates or body in such a manner as to deliberately cause a stoppage of play. With regard to a goalkeeper, this rule applies outside of his goal crease area.

A minor penalty shall be imposed on a goalkeeper who, when he is in his own goal crease, deliberately falls on or gathers the puck into his body or who holds or places the puck against any part of the goal in such a manner as to cause a stoppage of play unless he is actually being checked by an opponent. (he didn't hold it against the goal, he had it in his glove).

I guess the ref decided that there's a new rule that if you don't hear a whistle within a second of freezing the puck you have to keep it moving, even if a player is right on top of your crease....? Te only rule that really applies is the first one and its a judgment call so its pretty hard to dispute that.

Weird. Well, I guess that's what happens when you call out refs in the media, RYAN.

Anyway, Thomas Vanek, have my babies, both of those goals were beautiful.

Goose and Mairsy, thank you for having sweet fights even if the tide turned against you at the end of your fight Mairsy, you were still B.A.

Goose's fight was a great example of a momentum changing fight. Because he won so clearly, the team and the fans were definitely motivated and I think it really helped to bring the team back around.

I really like come from behind victories, but I'd prefer "holding onto early lead" victories. But, a win is a win and I'll take it.

Dear Bill Clinton,

You were a great President, yours was the first presidency I paid any attention to. I think your wife is pretty cool too. I hope she'll be a great Secretary of State.

Thanks for coming to the Sabres game. The downstairs area was the cleanest its ever been.

I do, however, have 2 complaints.

1. Who told you that sweater looked good? and 2. thanks for shutting down the elevators so I had to walk up to the 300s. Its really not that far but I'm tired from being up all hours working on papers and my job is kind of physically demanding in that I'm on my feet for 4 hours straight. I never sit down, EVER. Sometimes I kneel, but usually when I kneel I'm balancing a large metal tray on one knee.

Anyway, thanks for supporting us!

Love,
Anne

I've heard so many horror stories about working Maple Leafs' games and I'm really not looking forward to Friday's game.

Pommer had quite possibly the most under the radar 3 point game of his career. I really had no idea he had 3 points until I checked the boxscore. LISTEN, SELLING ODDLY COLORED COTTON CANDY TAKES A LOT OF FOCUS. For real, some of that cotton candy looked downright bizzare. There was one bag that was a mixture of pink and green that just looked gray, and basically looked like a human brain. mmmmmmmm break me off a chunka that!

Anyway, picture time!


Goose! Your hand is still bandaged, I'm not so sure you should be pounding it into anything harder than your pillow at night!!
But that fight helped a lot, so good job.
Also I watched you and Gerbe chatting on the bench and it made me smile so thanks for just being awesome in general.
ETA: The other adorable Goose-moment was at one point he was chatting with a ref and they shared a chuckle (post-awkward penalty).
Paul Gaustad for UN Peace Ambassador
He'll sweep into Iran/Iraq/Afghanistan and have these misunderstandings all taken care of in a jiffy.
Israel and Pakistan will be BFFL once Goose gets in the mix.



Nathan, its fundamentals time. Puck in net, Player not in net.


Theeeeere ya go.

Dear Adam Mair,

You did not win "most hilarious facial expression" tonight. Sissy did by a LANDSLIDE vote of me and Oscar:


Ahahahahahahahahhahahaha
He looks like a cartoon caricature representing the North Wind

Only 1 more paper and 1 more test to go!!!!!!!!!

14 comments:

  1. That was one of the weirder moments I've experienced in person. The chorus of "BUUUUUULLSHIT BUUUUUULLSHIT" that rained down was magical.

    WASN'T IT, THOUGH? I loved taking part in that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was such a bizarre penalty. I've never seena goalie get a delay of game penalty called against them when they have the puck in their glove. Weird. But I did enjoy the bullshit chant, gotta love it!

    Good luck on your paper & test. I just finished my last one and now I have to take a test in the morning and I'm done!:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great title. Also, Pominville did have a quiet three point night. I didn't realize it until just now, and I didn't sell cotton candy or anything...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Overall poor night of officiating all night. It was probably tougher to tell at the game, but the end of the game penalty was bad, but I guess replay will do that.

    Pominville made the play of the game in my opinion to keep the puck in the zone that set up Vanek's 2nd goal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope that isn't Spachies 'O' face.. Yikes! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pominville made the play of the game in my opinion to keep the puck in the zone that set up Vanek's 2nd goal.

    That was an awesome play.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. Who told you that sweater looked good?

    I said the same thing while watching the game! You think he would have someone to help him with those kind of things...

    Goose! Your hand is still bandaged, I'm not so sure you should be pounding it into anything harder than your pillow at night!!

    I have to admit, as much as I live to see Goose drop the gloves, I'm still pretty nervous about his hand. Oh well, he's a tough cookie, and it's nice that he's putting the team's need for energy above his own need for a pain-free existence.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WASN'T IT, THOUGH? I loved taking part in that.

    It definitely took me a minute to figure out what they were saying but once I did, I laughed a lot. I'm pretty sure I shouldn't have participated but of course I did.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was such a bizarre penalty. I've never seena goalie get a delay of game penalty called against them when they have the puck in their glove. Weird.

    I had no idea it was even possible for the goalie to get a delay of game penalty for anything other than shooting the puck over the glass.

    Good luck on your paper & test. I just finished my last one and now I have to take a test in the morning and I'm done!:D

    Thanks! test is done now and the paper should be a breeze!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great title. Also, Pominville did have a quiet three point night. I didn't realize it until just now, and I didn't sell cotton candy or anything...

    Ha, thanks. I mean, clearly Pommer scored an empty-netter but everyone was all 'THOMAS VANEEEEEK!!!' as they should be, but we're all so swept up by his finish that we sometimes forget the slick passes that get the puck on his stick.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Overall poor night of officiating all night. It was probably tougher to tell at the game, but the end of the game penalty was bad, but I guess replay will do that.

    I tend to miss a lot of the end of the game until I watch replays later because we count out during the end of the 3rd, but I saw that "boarding" call on Kotalik. It was stupid.

    Pominville made the play of the game in my opinion to keep the puck in the zone that set up Vanek's 2nd goal.

    He definitely did, and as I said just above this, we need to remember to spread the love for the playmaking of his teammates that gets TV his goals

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope that isn't Spachies 'O' face.. Yikes! LOL!

    Hahahahahaha. Good LORD I hope it is. Mrs. Sissy is one lucky lady, owwwww!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have to admit, as much as I live to see Goose drop the gloves, I'm still pretty nervous about his hand. Oh well, he's a tough cookie, and it's nice that he's putting the team's need for energy above his own need for a pain-free existence.

    He's my favorite fighter on the team. Every time he fights, it feels like some wrong is being righted because Goose would only fight if the integrity of his teammates was on the line.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was an awesome play.

    wasn't it?! pommer is one of those players that quietly tears it up and you don't realize how amazing he's been until its March and he's somehow on the top of the scoring sheet.

    ReplyDelete

Glossary... Sort of

  • "Ryan Miller" Shutout - A 58 minute multi-goal shutout lead that is blown by Miller allowing one meaningless goal
  • Britney or SabreBritney - Thomas Vanek
  • Butter Snaps - Carolina Hurricanes
  • Craigory - Craig Rivet
  • Full Monty - Steve Montador
  • Greener - MATT Greene (LAK)
  • JBG - Jolly Blonde Giant - Tyler Myers
  • Little Foot - Drew Stafford
  • MK - Anne's sister; often leaves nonsensical comments under her Twitter name Mmmkizzle
  • Noodles - Derek Whitmore
  • Oscar - Anne's cat and STH's unofficial mascot
  • Parsley - Jimmy Bonneau
  • Sir Christopher - Chris Butler
  • Sissy - Jaroslav Spacek
  • Telly Monster - Mikael Tellqvist

Because It's Never not Funny


Disclaimer, yo.

Almost all of our pictures are borrowed from other sources. If they're yours and you don't want us to use them, just shoot us an email and we'll take them down.

We have nothing to do with the Buffalo Sabres, the National Hockey League or the actual "Sabretooth's House" located in HSBC Arena, we're just borrowing the name. If anyone is offended by anything we've written, get over it, it's a personal blog, not an accredited news source.

anniebeeswax [at] gmail [dot] com