A blog about the Buffalo Sabres

Sunday, January 25, 2009

I Like You a Lot Lot

by Anne

I watched the Skills Competition last night with a vodka tonic in hand. Sadly, the drinking game was not as successful this year, but the event was more entertaining.

I wish Vanek had done some more events, his goal in the Elimination Shootout was one of the highlights of the entire night. Being a Sabres fans, it seems logical I'd say that, but it was definitely one of the more creative attempts. Although, TV, I could really live without the fauxhawk. I love ya, but you deserve better than "The Royzie Special".

Marc Savard actually displayed a personality as he was mic'd up for the entire evening for Versus. I was shocked and awed, but plesantly surprised that he was actually more interesting than watching paint dry. I had anticipated he would not be a stimulating conversationalist. Zach Parise apparently decided to abandon ship on the mic and we were left with only Savvy. There was a moment after the fastest skater challenge when one of his teammates clearly thought Zach was talking to him and he had to gesture to his ear to be like "No, I'm talking to the voices in my head, er, ear, er, Doc." I wonder what Versus would have done if Savvy hadn't made it to the final round of shooters? Would he have had to hang out there until it was over? Most likely.

The Young Stars game was a hot mess. They kept showing replays while the game was going on and goals were being scored. I normally enjoy the Young Stars game so this was fairly disappointing.

The above title refers to one of those Young Stars, Luke Schenn. I know he's an icky Maple Leaf but I really think he's awesome. He's a great player, he seems to be a genuinely nice person and he's not too hard on the eyes. I cheered when he scored in the game and then laughed because he has yet to score in the NHL. Its ok, Luke! Give it time!


Schenn and Doughty
My new favorite defensemen.
(ETA: Except Matt Greene, of course.)
Why?
This is the first season I've given a hoot about defensemen and they're young and talented.



Work that -20 degree weather, boy


20?? Who's wearing #26?
psh! Marty St. Louis?!?!
That's BALONEY.
Thomas Kaberle won the "15"battle with Dany Heatley (#51)
Jay Boumeester (#3) lost the "4" battle with Vinny
Jeff Carter (#7) lost the "17" battle with Ilya Kovalchuk
Patrick Marleau (#10) lost the "12" battle with Iggy
Shane Doan lost the "19" battle with Jonathan Toews because Tazer is a starter
Joe Thornton also lost the "19" battle and went with "97"? Doan is wearing "18"


Soupy looks... really good.

These men have hockey sticks in their hands everyday, yet some of them look catastrophically awkward holding them while not in skates. I thought the stick was there to ease the awkwardness of the photo-takng experience?



Nasher, the only dual "Hottie" and "Skill" representative.



Yay!!


I love it.


Jeff: We gotta get that Stamkos kid to join. Then we'll get to Berglund.
Eric: Totally, we need all the blonde, nearly albino forwards together. We have to combat the Russian forwards some how. Kovalev can't join us.
Jeff: He's just not blonde enough.
Eric: I was talking to Vanek before. I think he's in.
Jeff: He's more strawberry than pure blonde like you and me.
Eric: I know, but we need to save him before the Europeans get him.
Jeff: Word. After this, want to go sit in dark corners and not get any sun?
Eric: Sure! Hey, what color was Keith Tkachuk's hair before he lost it all...

I will probably not watch the actual All-Star Game as I have class Monday morning. What's up with that? Anyway, if you watch the game, enjoy!

14 comments:

  1. 1. I am digging the super sexy new layout!!

    2. I am disgusted with myself over how bad I want to sex up Brian Campbell right now. Please someone start the intervention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne, you are just way too funny.

    And I completely agree with MJ on both accounts. There's just something wrong with that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've liked Savvy for awhile now, but I think I love him after last night. He was really funny, and I liked what he had to say. Sort of like Ricky D during last year's All Star game, and Manny Legace too. Plus, he said good things about Thomas when he was next up in the shootout, so his love points go up again.

    I must admit that M.J. may be right...Soupy did look good...have to...resist...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Iginla looks so foxy on the red carpet. He knows what's up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Think you're really hot hot.

    Looove the pictures. And your new banner!!!!!! I'm late (sorry). It reminds me of stencils! And that's so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. not on the Brian Campbell train. He's just not hot. Ever.

    Nash looks super creepy in his pic but no longer like my cousin which is good. That was starting to bug me.

    Mmmm Iggy. 'Nuff said.

    And LOL @ Van and his coat.

    LOL @ the convo between the albino boys. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. I am digging the super sexy new layout!!

    Thanks! I got super bored and felt like being creative

    2. I am disgusted with myself over how bad I want to sex up Brian Campbell right now. Please someone start the intervention.

    These are uncertain times. I know. I'm really all over the map on this attraction to Soupy. S(h)ara has a head start on us all as she's been having Brian Campbell happy thoughts for years now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anne, you are just way too funny.

    Moi? Ha, thanks.

    And I completely agree with MJ on both accounts. There's just something wrong with that.

    Soupy. Who would've thought that a year separated from his contract shenanigans and we're not debating whether or not we should've traded him, but which of us gets to be first in line to swap spit with him?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've liked Savvy for awhile now, but I think I love him after last night. He was really funny, and I liked what he had to say. Sort of like Ricky D during last year's All Star game, and Manny Legace too. Plus, he said good things about Thomas when he was next up in the shootout, so his love points go up again.

    My level of interest in Marc Savard has gone from "I acknowledge he plays hockey in the NHL" to "Tell me more about yourself, Mr. Savard" for a variety of reasons.

    I must admit that M.J. may be right...Soupy did look good...have to...resist...

    Brian Campbell, the one that got away?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Iginla looks so foxy on the red carpet. He knows what's up.

    He could show up in bermuda shorts and driving moccasins and I'd still be like "Lookit how cute Iggy looks!" That man can literally do no wrong in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Think you're really hot hot.
    Yes! Dani with the Lady Gaga reference. Do you think Luke Schenn tastes like glitter mixed with rock and roll? I'm pretty sure he might

    Looove the pictures. And your new banner!!!!!! I'm late (sorry). It reminds me of stencils! And that's so fun.

    Thanks! I think the template I used is called "cut out" and the font is something like "catholic school girls" haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. not on the Brian Campbell train. He's just not hot. Ever.

    C'est la vie. I never know how I'm going to feel seeing Soupy. He really is like your ex boyfriend or a guy you were good friends with who told you he liked you but you weren't into it then but now you wonder "what if...?"

    Nash looks super creepy in his pic but no longer like my cousin which is good. That was starting to bug me.

    Aw, Nasher! I think he's totally adorable.

    Mmmm Iggy. 'Nuff said.

    So pretty. And by pretty I clearly mean rugged and manly and handsome.

    And LOL @ Van and his coat.

    He looks a tad disheveled with the no tie and the coat unbuttoned.

    LOL @ the convo between the albino boys. Good stuff.

    You know its TOTALLY what they were talking about. They probably called Jordan Staal and Dustin Brown afterwards to chat about what levels of SPF they use.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You missed a great end to the game. At least it was a shootout. The rest of the game was boring, the players looked bored

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just wish Sid would have played

    ReplyDelete

Glossary... Sort of

  • "Ryan Miller" Shutout - A 58 minute multi-goal shutout lead that is blown by Miller allowing one meaningless goal
  • Britney or SabreBritney - Thomas Vanek
  • Butter Snaps - Carolina Hurricanes
  • Craigory - Craig Rivet
  • Full Monty - Steve Montador
  • Greener - MATT Greene (LAK)
  • JBG - Jolly Blonde Giant - Tyler Myers
  • Little Foot - Drew Stafford
  • MK - Anne's sister; often leaves nonsensical comments under her Twitter name Mmmkizzle
  • Noodles - Derek Whitmore
  • Oscar - Anne's cat and STH's unofficial mascot
  • Parsley - Jimmy Bonneau
  • Sir Christopher - Chris Butler
  • Sissy - Jaroslav Spacek
  • Telly Monster - Mikael Tellqvist

Because It's Never not Funny


Disclaimer, yo.

Almost all of our pictures are borrowed from other sources. If they're yours and you don't want us to use them, just shoot us an email and we'll take them down.

We have nothing to do with the Buffalo Sabres, the National Hockey League or the actual "Sabretooth's House" located in HSBC Arena, we're just borrowing the name. If anyone is offended by anything we've written, get over it, it's a personal blog, not an accredited news source.

anniebeeswax [at] gmail [dot] com