Darcy Regier actually signed someone on July 1! Someone actually chose to sign in Buffalo! What a novel concept!
Anyway, his name is Steve Montador and here's what we know about him:
- Born December 21, 1979 in Vancouver, BC
- Plays Defense
- Not drafted, signed as a free agent with Calgary in 2000
- Has played with Calgary, Florida, Anaheim and Boston
- He's a right-handed shot which is handy to have back on the blueline
- He's played in 368 NHL games over the last nine years and has scored 18 goals and 50 assits, plus a whopping 604 PIM
- He seems like Craig Rivet pt. deux. I don't mean that as a criticism, its a good thing as far as I'm concerned. He's gritty and tough
- Played in the OHL with North Bay, Erie and Peterborough
- He played the same two years in Erie that Timmy played there.
- I hear he's also quite Timmy-like with his off-ice, um, business.
- His girlfriend board is boring and people just seem to whining and saying he'll play well in Buffalo. Boring
- He's involved with Right to Play and in Summer 2007 took a trip to Tanzania with (then future, now former) teammate Andrew Ference. Here are some pictures:
Andrew and Steve attract the ladies 'round the globe
The Full Monty talks strategy
Awww, smiles all around
- Now is the birth of the Steve Montador tag and his official christening as the Full Monty. I'm sure I'm not the first person to call him this.
- I'm a few days late with my welcoming but whatevs. Welcome Aboard, Steve!