A blog about the Buffalo Sabres

Sunday, October 4, 2009

THE SABRES WILL NEVER WIN AGAIN

by Anne


Calm down.

We lost a very close well-fought game. It was the FIRST GAME of the season. Think we all know that the Sabres are not going to win every single game. They got a point.

Wait! Hold on! Yes! Read that again: THEY GOT. A. POINT. BECAUSE IT'S A GAME THAT MEANT SOMETHING! Yay!!!

The pace of the first period was absolutely bananas. HSBC Arena was rockin'. People were so excited about the season, the energy was infectious.

It does stink that they lost. I would have, of course, loved it if they had won, but they didn't. They have almost a week to get ready for the next game. I'm not sure why there's such a large space of time between games 1 and 2, but that's the way the NHL sliced it.

As per usual, I can't comment too much on games at home but from what I saw, JBG had a few good moments. A few moments where he remembered that he's a giant and used his size to his advantage along the boards to get the puck out.

I'm glad that Tim Kennedy picked a new number. It makes him seem all grown up. :') He got the loudest cheer during the intros which were pretty sweet.

The Canucks lost and were shut-out. Ouch.

The Pens won! Sid scored, as did John Tavares with his first NHL goal. Woo!



I'm writing this while listening to the Kings game. They're losing 6-3. They scored all three goals on the powerplay. Therefore, the Kings just need to play the entire season with a man advantage and they'll have success. Good plan? Yes?


They lost.

Anyway, on to something you won't read anywhere else:

For those new to the blog, I work at HSBC Arena. I get to go to all the Sabres home games for free. In fact I get paid to be there. The downside is that i don't get to just sit and watch the entire game, I see only about half of the actual hockey that's played. The major perk is things like the story I'm about to tell.

FYI: When you enter the Arena from the security entrance you go left to head towards the SportService offices and the Zambonis. If you go right, which we are not permitted to do, you get to the locker rooms. Never the two shall meet.

I was running late to begin with, I'm supposed to be there at 5:30 but I rolled in about 5:35, dropped off my bag and headed to punch in. Unnnfortunately, my card was not there to punch in. I had to head down to the office to sign-in. On the way back I decided I would look for my card one more time.

So I head to where the cards are, right next to the elevator, and whom do I see, just chillin' in front of the time cards, looking all crazy tall and introspective listening to his iPod? Paul Gaustad. Completely random. I've never seen a player in that part of the Arena. The closest is around the bend behind a door where we can't see them, they play ping pong and we can hear them sometimes.

I actually had to move around him to get to the cards. I was like "Oh, do you need help punching in? Do you guys have to do that now? That's odd. My, you have skinny legs."

Anyway, that was random and funny.



World's most awkward high-five, FTW




And finally, we see the revelation of the evening. Mike Grier suddenly remembers why he left Buffalo in the first place:




2 comments:

Glossary... Sort of

  • "Ryan Miller" Shutout - A 58 minute multi-goal shutout lead that is blown by Miller allowing one meaningless goal
  • Britney or SabreBritney - Thomas Vanek
  • Butter Snaps - Carolina Hurricanes
  • Craigory - Craig Rivet
  • Full Monty - Steve Montador
  • Greener - MATT Greene (LAK)
  • JBG - Jolly Blonde Giant - Tyler Myers
  • Little Foot - Drew Stafford
  • MK - Anne's sister; often leaves nonsensical comments under her Twitter name Mmmkizzle
  • Noodles - Derek Whitmore
  • Oscar - Anne's cat and STH's unofficial mascot
  • Parsley - Jimmy Bonneau
  • Sir Christopher - Chris Butler
  • Sissy - Jaroslav Spacek
  • Telly Monster - Mikael Tellqvist

Because It's Never not Funny


Disclaimer, yo.

Almost all of our pictures are borrowed from other sources. If they're yours and you don't want us to use them, just shoot us an email and we'll take them down.

We have nothing to do with the Buffalo Sabres, the National Hockey League or the actual "Sabretooth's House" located in HSBC Arena, we're just borrowing the name. If anyone is offended by anything we've written, get over it, it's a personal blog, not an accredited news source.

anniebeeswax [at] gmail [dot] com