A blog about the Buffalo Sabres

Monday, March 10, 2008

I've been unfaithful to the Sabres

by Anne
Ok, so I have to admit, I've been stepping out on the Sabres. Not to the same magnitude as the All-Star weekend where I was like a 45 year old divorcee at a singles' mingle. But, I have been peeking a little more frequently at my #2 and #3.

So, inspired by Katebits recent rundown of her feelings on the Eastern Conference, I thought I'd enlighten our readers as to which teams are distant 2nd and 3rd in my heart and why.

#2 The Pittsburgh Penguins

I grew up in a football household. My uncle and cousins played football in high school and college and now coach it, same with my grandfathers.

My mom grew up an avid football fan, my dad the same, although his was more of a baseball household.

Both my parents were raised Pittsburgh Steelers fans despite my mother's close proximity to the Washington Redskins.

No one in my family before me was really a hockey fan. So, why, might you ask, do I give a hoot about the Pittsburgh Penguins? They were mostly terrible when my parents were tots, so no one in Pittsburgh even cared about them. My parents were married and lived in the city during the dreadful declaring of bankruptcy 1974-1975 season, so, city-wide morale for hockey was at an all time low.

So, why, might you ask, do I cheer for them?
This man

Mario Lemieux.


Until recently, I was anti-superstar. I can't stand Wayne Gretzky. I fully acknowledge that he was one of the greatest hockey players of all time, and many of his records will probably stand forever, in spite of Sid the Kid's attempts to break them. However, as he was considered #1, by most of the NHL, Mr. Lemieux was considered #2. I found this offensive, and therefore like him better. Nevermind that Gretzky has said nothing but great things about Lemieux and how he admired him. Phooey.

Lemieux was the Ovechkin to Gretzky's Crosby. Still widely regarded as one of the greatest, but could never quite break fully from his shadow, didn't create the media frenzy of his more highly publicized rival. Most people outside of hockey don't know who Sidney Crosby is, NONE of them know who Alexander Ovechkin is.

Only Lemieux, Gordie Howe and Gretzky have won the Art Ross 6+ times. Lemieux even beat out Pat Lalalalalalalafontaine for the award in 1993. However, Lemieux was coming back from being diagnosed with Hodgkin's disease, and you can't help but be impressed. He missed 24 games that season while battling the disease, and STILL won the Art Ross. Bitchin'.

I think its this way I feel about Lemieux that makes me an Ovechkin fan instead of Crosby, inspite of the fact that Sid the Kid is a Penguin. I still like him but I'll take Ovechkin.

When the Pens won yesterday, I was super stoked because it was good for them and better for us that the Pens beat the Caps. Sorry Ovie.


#3 The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim Ducks


I like them for very few reasons:

1. They realized their name was totally LAME and dropped the word "Mighty".

2. They have Ryan Getzlaf.


3. They were featured in one of the funniest reality show moments of all time: Snoop Dogg ice skating.

3.5 They also have Drew Miller

4. In every interview with them, they all seem like a really fun group of players, so on top of being on the ice good, they're off the ice likeable.

Is it just me, or does Chris Pronger's wife appear to be about 6'1"?

5. They embarrassed the Ottawa Senators in the 2007 Stanley Cup Finals. WA-HOO!

Getzy and Giggy hug it out after winning the Cup

I managed to get 3 pictures of Ryan Getzlaf in one post. SWEET.

Of course, above all other teams, I couldn't even cheer as hard for a hockey team as I do for my hometown boys:

It was after this goal that I started calling him The Soviet Bomber

(does anyone else get why the ref is keeping Kalinin away from Max?

I will never forget where I was when he scored that goal. I skipped out on the beginning of Act 2 of a show I was seeing to stand in a disgusting dive bar in North Tonawanda, because the game was on. When he scored it, I was so excited I jumped up and down and everything flew out of my purse but I could not have cared less.

I miss that feeling, but I'm sure one day we'll have it again. Maybe not this year, but soon.

1 comment:

  1. 1. Drew... catwalk with ryan... the reeling fish dance... cute.

    2. Max... BEST goal celebration ever.

    3. Kalinin... the ref can see into the future and he would have gotten killed by soviet's dive. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete

Glossary... Sort of

  • "Ryan Miller" Shutout - A 58 minute multi-goal shutout lead that is blown by Miller allowing one meaningless goal
  • Britney or SabreBritney - Thomas Vanek
  • Butter Snaps - Carolina Hurricanes
  • Craigory - Craig Rivet
  • Full Monty - Steve Montador
  • Greener - MATT Greene (LAK)
  • JBG - Jolly Blonde Giant - Tyler Myers
  • Little Foot - Drew Stafford
  • MK - Anne's sister; often leaves nonsensical comments under her Twitter name Mmmkizzle
  • Noodles - Derek Whitmore
  • Oscar - Anne's cat and STH's unofficial mascot
  • Parsley - Jimmy Bonneau
  • Sir Christopher - Chris Butler
  • Sissy - Jaroslav Spacek
  • Telly Monster - Mikael Tellqvist

Because It's Never not Funny


Disclaimer, yo.

Almost all of our pictures are borrowed from other sources. If they're yours and you don't want us to use them, just shoot us an email and we'll take them down.

We have nothing to do with the Buffalo Sabres, the National Hockey League or the actual "Sabretooth's House" located in HSBC Arena, we're just borrowing the name. If anyone is offended by anything we've written, get over it, it's a personal blog, not an accredited news source.

anniebeeswax [at] gmail [dot] com